Professional societies are essential for technical communicators. It is critical to join professional societies that enhance one’s skills as a technical communicator. Not only will such involvement yield networking opportunities, but it will also allow one to continue education through exposure to the latest theories, tools, techniques, and standards important to the work of technical communication societies.
The following list is a sample of professional societies, associations, and organizations related to the technical communication profession:
- Society for Technical Communication (STC)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC)
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing (ATTW)
- Professional Association for Design (AIGA)
- National Communication Association (NCA)
- Usability Professionals’ Association (UPA)
This page created by Britt Ellmer with contributions by April Lewis.